EIGHTEEN

After 2 months, I've decided to write about my 18th birthday on this blog. I feel like I have a lot of people to thank for th...





After 2 months, I've decided to write about my 18th birthday on this blog. I feel like I have a lot of people to thank for that day, people I couldn't mention while I was making my speech on the night due to my nervousness, but I did try to name everyone online after. 
To all those who helped, I mean it when I say I was and still am truly thankful you helped me plan the event and succeeded in being a quite fluent and enjoyable night. I'm definitely not the type to host my own parties, this is the first party I planned EVER, if you don't count my 16th birthday barbeque lunch (which I don't, because it wasn't so big) so for a first time thing, I think I did pretty well haha. Of course, there were some things that stressed me out and some things that didn't go to plan but at the end of the day I'm thankful God has given me another year and actually allowed me to celebrate this day. 


A typical 18 year old would probably go clubbing and drink to the point their body can't handle it anymore but in my culture we have a tradition. Turning 18 is a coming of age. It is when a young girl can now be considered a lady or a woman, and to introduce her to society as a young woman in a marriage aspect. (Also in Australia) it is the legal age to get your P Plate License, to order a beer or buy a smoke at the counter, and to be responsible for your own actions legally. After visiting Philippines for a month during my actual birthdate, I realised why turning 18 was such a big deal. For one, they can't get a job or earn their own money (legally anyway) without being 18. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but life is hard in the Philippines, and my last visit there really opened my eyes to it. When you turn 18, you're responsible for your own actions. I'm not saying people from other countries don't fend for themselves, but I can't put to words how tough living in Philippines is. Let's face it, if you don't make it big as a celebrity, were not already wealthy, have light skin, half cast or were from a different country, you are ordinary and I feel people don't appreciate you much for it.  I feel like turning 18 is a gateway to those who want to do more with their life there, as turning 18 is the age you're finally allowed to do things like getting a job (if you fit their stupid rules). So of course, celebrating your coming of age is a big thing for filipinos. It's kind of like how in Spanish culture they have a Quinceanera for girls who turn 16, it's the same concept, just different traditions within the celebration. 
Usually it would be in a big reception hall, to invite as many people as you want to witness the celebration but I didn't want anything too big in terms of place of setting. I just wanted my close friends, family, and people who've shaped my childhood such as my Godmothers, Godfathers and a few family friends and I thought my house and backyard catered for that much people. I was already thankful enough I was surprised by my family to go to Japan like WHAT EVEN so I didn't want to spend so much on just one day.
And also, being a filipino that was born in Australia (Filipino-Australian) I don't think it's necessary for me to go all out. My family doesn't really care about following the traditions, we're very westernised but because being Filipino is in our blood and fun doesn't hurt anyone, I just wanted a simple gathering. 



One of the main traditions that occur are called 'Candles and Roses'
The debutante (myself) would pick 18 males for roses and 18 females for candles, usually people close to her, who have impacted on her life and have helped her throughout the years. 
So the guys would give her a rose each (18 roses in total) before dancing with her for around 30 seconds to a minute long, depending on the program planner. Usually the Roses would conclude with a father and daughter dance. It apparently represents the young lady's readiness in romance (lol).
The girls would light a single candle before presenting a speech to the debutante. This speech could consist of their friendship, advice or a special greeting to the debutante. The candle represents light that will guide the debutante's journey in life. After doing so, the debutante would blow the candles out. 
Now, although this was set in summer, as annoying Melbourne weather always is, it was so windy and very cold so I honestly wanted everything over and done with haha the wind practically blew my candles out before I even got a chance to do so.









I really enjoyed myself and I hope everyone did too! I'm very thankful to those who especially was willing and was surprisingly enthusiastic in being part of the night, whether that was bringing food, being one of my candles or roses, or wanting to set up. THANK YOU SO MUCH. 
And to my family in the Philippines, I wish you were all with me during this time. Although I had a privilege to have a 18th birthday up in Philippines, I still wish you were all with me in Australia celebrating. Thank you to my cousin and my Lola (grandma) for helping my mum buy a few things and help her in deciding what I think I would like while I had to go back to Australia early. I love you all and still miss you to this day. 












You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images